ICI Is Working to Build a Diverse and Inclusive Asset Management Industry
Fostering greater diversity and inclusion is critical to the future of the fund industry. Find out more about ICI’s robust diversity and inclusion work, which includes:
- Advancing underrepresented groups in portfolio management and executive leadership. The ICI Education Foundation (ICIEF) has partnered with Girls Who Invest, a leading nonprofit dedicated to increasing the number of women in portfolio management and executive leadership in the investment management industry.
- Conducting industry-wide surveys to establish a benchmark for progress. ICI and the Independent Directors Council (IDC) conducted surveys of management companies and fund boards about the racial and ethnic makeup of their workforces and boards. The results provide a foundation of accountability and a benchmark for meaningful progress. ICI and IDC will conduct the surveys on a regular basis.
- Supporting enhanced public company disclosure. ICI supports the Improving Corporate Governance Through Diversity Act, legislation that requires businesses to disclose the race, ethnicity, gender, and veteran status of their board members, nominees, and executives, and to identify any board policies that promote diversity. ICI also called on the Securities and Exchange Commission to require public companies to disclose demographic information about their workforces.
- Partnering with the Robert Toigo Foundation. ICI, through ICIEF, has an ongoing partnership with the Robert Toigo Foundation to help fund important efforts to nurture the career advancement and increased leadership of underrepresented talent in finance and similar industries.
- Developing a pipeline program. ICI’s Talent Connection encourages more women and minority students to consider careers in the asset management industry and helps the industry form a robust pipeline of qualified job candidates. Through webinars and other events, ICI and industry representatives introduce minority students to the asset management industry and the substantial career opportunities available to them.
- Raising awareness through ICI events and meetings. Through dedicated conference sessions and webinars, ICI helps its staff and members better understand and promote diversity and inclusion in the industry. The Institute also has a diversity and inclusion committee and a board-level working group, which regularly meet and offer members an opportunity to share their programs and practices.