ICI Global carries out the international work of the Investment Company Institute, the leading association representing regulated investment funds. ICI’s mission is to strengthen the foundation of the asset management industry for the ultimate benefit of the long-term individual investor. Its members include mutual funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), closed-end funds, and unit investment trusts (UITs) in the United States, and UCITS and similar funds offered to investors in Europe, Asia and other jurisdictions. ICI Global has offices in Washington, DC, Brussels, London, and Hong Kong.
What is ICI Global’s unique role?
International regulatory organisations influence funds and capital markets policy worldwide, and fund activities are increasingly global in terms of investments, business strategies, and regulatory concerns. Global investment funds need a strong and informed resource on issues that cross borders. ICI Global offers full, strong support to globally active funds through unbiased research, policy analysis, operations, issues development, and public communications.
What priorities and policy issues does ICI Global address?
The following list encompasses many, but not all, issues on which ICI Global is active.
- Asia-Pacific cross-border fund distribution
- Capital gains tax issues
- FATCA and efforts to create a global FATCA-like regime
- Financial benchmarks
- Financial transaction tax (FTT)
- MiFID II
- Mutual recognition
- US Volcker Rule
Trading and market structure
- Capital market development
- Consolidated tape
- Dark versus lit markets
- High-frequency and algorithmic trading
- Order routing and transparency
Asset management and financial stability
- Fund and investor behavior
- G-SIFI and SIFI designation
- Liquidity and asset management
- Money market funds
- Securities lending and repo
Retirement savings and pension systems
- Default investment options
- Investor education
- System design
- Target date funds
How does ICI Global advocate policy positions?
ICI Global’s senior-level team leverages and builds on ICI’s broad policy and research expertise. As an engaged and respected participant in the global dialogue, ICI Global works on an array of issues with regulators including:
- Financial Stability Board
- International Organization of Securities Commissions
- European Securities and Markets Authority
- US Treasury and other leading national ministries and regulators worldwide
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- International Monetary Fund
- Bank of International Settlements
- Basel Committee
What is the leadership structure of ICI Global?
Eric J. Pan, in his role as president and CEO of the Investment Company Institute, oversees ICI Global. Michael Pedroni is the Investment Company Institute’s Chief Global Affairs Officer and leads ICI Global.
ICI Annual Report to Members
ICI Global addresses issues and opportunities across the spectrum of regulatory, legislative, and public debates affecting funds around the globe.