Washington Post Column Repeats Money Market Fund Myths
By Ianthé Zabel
Fri Sep 28 00:00:00 EDT 2012
A recent column published by the Washington Post unfortunately repeats misperceptions and falsehoods about money market funds. One in particular is the column’s misleading assertion that money market funds “nearly brought down the financial system in 2008.” Another is its glaring omission of the Securities and Exchange Commission’s substantial reforms to the regulation of money market funds in 2010. We urge Washington Post readers and others to get the facts. A good starting point is our recent series of ICI Viewpoints posts addressing misconceptions about money market funds.
- The “Susceptible to Runs” Myth
- The False Narrative of 2008
- What Money Market Fund Investors Know
- Investor Protections in the SEC’s 2010 Money Market Fund Reforms
- The Power of the SEC’s 2010 Money Market Fund Reforms
You can find research and more information about money market funds at ICI’s Money Market Fund Resource Center.
Ianthé Zabel is ICI’s senior director for media relations.