- Industry Research
- Investor Research
- Fact Book
- Mutual Fund Ownership
- Closed-End Fund Ownership
- Mutual Fund Shareholders' Use of Information
- Mutual Fund Shareholders' Use of Financial Advisers
- Equity Ownership In America
- U.S. Households' Views on Retirement Saving
- IRA Investors
- The IRA Investor Database™
- Defined Contribution Plan Investors
- EBRI & ICI 401(k) Database
- Households Saving for College
- Retirement Research
Closed-End Fund Data
First Quarter, 2014
Washington, DC, May 16, 2014 - The combined assets of the nation’s closed-end funds were $286.36 billion at the end of March 2014, according to ICI. The Institute’s quarterly statistical collection also includes the value of shares issued and redeemed by closed-end funds.
Assets of Closed-End Funds by Type
End of Period, Millions of dollars
Highlights: Total closed-end fund assets increased $7.15 billion during the first quarter. Equity fund assets increased by $2.77 billion to $117.11 billion, and bond fund assets increased by $4.38 billion to $169.25 billion.
For the quarter, there was $635 million in net issuance to closed-end funds, compared with $688 million in the fourth quarter of 2013.
There were 596 closed-end funds at the end of the first quarter. Bond funds numbered 380, and equity funds totaled 216. There were 599 closed-end funds at year-end 2013.
Value of Shares Issued and Redeemed by All Closed-End Funds
Millions of dollars
Number of Closed-End Funds by Type