ICI Global About ICI Global
ICI Global is the global affiliate of the Investment Company Institute. Founded in 2011, ICI Global seeks to advance the common interests and promote public understanding of global investment funds, their mangers, and investors. ICI Global’s team of experts serves its members, which are regulated funds publicly offered to investors in leading jurisdictions worldwide, from its headquarters in London and offices in Hong Kong and Washington, DC.
What is ICI Global’s unique role?
International regulatory organisations influence funds and capital markets policy worldwide, and fund activities are increasingly global in terms of investments, business strategies, and regulatory concerns. Global investment funds need a strong and informed resource on issues that cross borders. ICI Global offers full, strong support to globally active funds through unbiased research, policy analysis, operations, issues development, and public communications.
What priorities and policy issues does ICI Global address?
The following list encompasses many, but not all, issues on which ICI Global is active.
- Transnational fund regulation
- Volcker Rule
- FATCA and efforts to create a global FATCA-like regime
- Financial transaction tax (FTT)
- Third-country access
- Transparency waivers
- Asia-Pacific cross-border fund distribution
- Mutual recognition
- Financial benchmarks
- Market structure and trading, including such buyside issues as:
- Order routing and transparency
- Dark versus lit markets
- Consolidated tape
- High-frequency and algorithmic trading
- Swaps and derivatives
- Role of funds in financial stability
- Money market funds
- Securities lending and repo
- Other ‘shadow banking’ issues
- Asset management and financial stability
- Retirement savings and pension systems
- System design
- Target date funds
- Default settings
- Investor education
How does ICI Global advocate policy positions?
ICI Global’s senior-level team leverages and builds on ICI’s broad policy and research expertise. As an engaged and respected participant in the global dialogue, ICI Global works on an array of issues with regulators including:
- Financial Stability Board
- International Organization of Securities Commissions
- European Securities and Markets Authority
- US Treasury and other leading national ministries and regulators worldwide
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- International Monetary Fund
- Bank of International Settlements
- Basel Committee
What is the leadership structure of ICI Global?
ICI Global is led by Managing Director Dan Waters, who directed asset management policy for the Financial Services Authority (UK), and acted as a key leader within the organisation for more than a decade. Paul Schott Stevens, in his role as President and CEO of the Investment Company Institute, oversees ICI Global, and Qiumei Yang, CEO of Asia Pacific, leads the Hong Kong office. A steering committee of global fund leaders also guides ICI Global.